Discover what’s possible when travel is made accessible.
Dawn Barclay has dedicated over 30 years to working in different areas of the travel industry. Her recent book, Traveling Different: Vacation Strategies for Parents of the Anxious, the Inflexible, and the Neurodivese, offers helpful tips to soothe children’s travel anxieties. Dawn also writes fiction as D. M. Barr and holds leadership roles in several writer organizations.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Why Dawn thinks everyone should travel
- Common struggles families face when traveling
- Practical tips to create a sense of routine, minimize sensory overload, and make a trip enjoyable for the whole family
- Advice for traveling by plane, cruise ship, or car
- Uncommon vacation ideas that might be suitable for families with autistic loved ones
- The importance of building itineraries that include special interests
- Lessons Dawn learned from traveling with her own children
- The difference between a ‘Certified Autism Center’ and an ‘Autism Friendly’ establishment
- How to introduce the idea of traveling and prepare children for a trip ahead of time
To learn more about Dawn Barclay, please visit dawnbarclayink.com.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
TBT | 3. Self-Advocacy and Parenting at The Autism Cafe, with Eileen Lamb*THROWBACK EPISODE* This conversation with Eileen Lamb was originally released o
158. Thanksgiving Special | Celebrating 20 Years, with the Global Autism Project TeamDiscover what’s possible when you attend to gratitude. This episode is being re
157. RTD | Accessibility and Accommodations, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you ask for help. This week’s episode is a record
TBT | 49. Special Education and Disability Rights, with Michael Gilberg*THROWBACK EPISODE* This conversation with Michael Gilberg was originally releas