Discover what’s possible when travel is made accessible.
Dawn Barclay has dedicated over 30 years to working in different areas of the travel industry. Her recent book, Traveling Different: Vacation Strategies for Parents of the Anxious, the Inflexible, and the Neurodivese, offers helpful tips to soothe children’s travel anxieties. Dawn also writes fiction as D. M. Barr and holds leadership roles in several writer organizations.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Why Dawn thinks everyone should travel
- Common struggles families face when traveling
- Practical tips to create a sense of routine, minimize sensory overload, and make a trip enjoyable for the whole family
- Advice for traveling by plane, cruise ship, or car
- Uncommon vacation ideas that might be suitable for families with autistic loved ones
- The importance of building itineraries that include special interests
- Lessons Dawn learned from traveling with her own children
- The difference between a ‘Certified Autism Center’ and an ‘Autism Friendly’ establishment
- How to introduce the idea of traveling and prepare children for a trip ahead of time
To learn more about Dawn Barclay, please visit dawnbarclayink.com.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
Your Child Has Received an Autism Diagnosis, Now What? | Part 1, with Kathryn PetersenDiscover what’s possible when someone holds your hand. Have you ever tried to l
Accessibility in Digital Spaces | Part 2 with Maxwell Huffman and Jen GoubeaudDiscover what’s possible when accessibility goes beyond a checklist. Have you e
How to Increase Neurodiversity in the Workplace | Part 1 with Maxwell Huffman and Jen GoubeaudDiscover what’s possible when your work environment helps you flourish. Have yo
Dyslexia, Speech Therapy, and AAC, with Jeannette Washington | TBTDiscover what’s possible when communication operates beyond words. Have you eve