Discover what’s possible when you learn to accept yourself.
Mary Johnston is a 21-year-old Autistic Self-Advocate from New Hampshire. She hosts a blog called Autistic Rainbow 15 where she shares LGBTQ+ and disability-friendly tips, as well as information about inclusion and disability rights. A long-time member of our online Global Autism Community, Mary recently joined the moderator team to help ensure our space remains safe and respectful.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Mary receiving her diagnosis at 12 years old
- Receiving occupational therapy and speech therapy in school
- Coping with bullying and how she processes her feelings
- Her autistic strengths
- A poem she wrote titled “A Letter to My Autism”
- Service animals and our shared love for dogs
- Sensory struggles related to lights, sounds, and close proximity to other people
- Challenges with finding employment
- Her dream job
- Derealization, anxiety, and depression
- What she likes about being a community moderator for the Global Autism Community
- Puzzle piece representation
- Advice for other autistic women
To learn more about Mary, please visit Autistic Rainbow 15.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
TBT | 18. Accessibility at the Forefront, with Haley Moss*THROWBACK EPISODE ALERT* This conversation with Haley Moss was originally relea
119. RTD | Controversial Topics, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when conversations move forward. This week’s episode i
118. Self-Awareness and Emotional Intelligence, with Paul MicallefDiscover what’s possible when self-awareness improves relationships. Paul Mical
TBT | 11. The Ability Beyond Disabilities, with Rachel Barcellona*THROWBACK EPISODE ALERT* This conversation with Rachel Barcellona was originall