Discover what’s possible when self-awareness improves relationships.
Paul Micallef is an Autistic Self-Advocate from Melbourne, Australia. A former aerospace engineer with a passion for teaching, Paul publishes videos about autism on his YouTube channel Autism From The Inside. He also offers an autism-friendly online course on emotional intelligence, as well as relationship coaching for autistic people and their loved ones.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Paul discovering his autism
- Some ways he feels misunderstood
- What made Paul decide to cut off his dreadlocks
- Masking and burnout
- Misconceptions about autism
- How Paul learned emotional intelligence
- Reading subtle social cues
- Developing self-awareness and regulating his own emotions
- Relationship management
- Situations in which Paul may or may not disclose his autism
- Changing people’s perceptions about autism
- The Double Empathy Problem
- The 2022 Autism From The Inside Summit Launch Event (webinarjam.com), which starts on September 19th
- Advice for autistic people who are struggling to build relationships
To learn more about Paul Micallef and his work, please visit autismfromtheinside.com.au.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
TBT | 3. Self-Advocacy and Parenting at The Autism Cafe, with Eileen Lamb*THROWBACK EPISODE* This conversation with Eileen Lamb was originally released o
158. Thanksgiving Special | Celebrating 20 Years, with the Global Autism Project TeamDiscover what’s possible when you attend to gratitude. This episode is being re
157. RTD | Accessibility and Accommodations, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you ask for help. This week’s episode is a record
TBT | 49. Special Education and Disability Rights, with Michael Gilberg*THROWBACK EPISODE* This conversation with Michael Gilberg was originally releas