Discover what’s possible when connection builds confidence.
Our guests this week are Gary Jesch and Leslie Baldwin. Gary is a live animation performer and the founder of Invirtua, a telehealth learning service that uses animated avatars to interact with autistic children. Leslie is Invirtua’s Senior Partner as well as a member of their Board of Advisors. She was previously a manager and special educator at Texas Children's Hospital.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Gary’s inspiration for designing his characters
- Example goals they might target in a session
- Generalizing skills into everyday life
- Academic research that utilizes Invirtua’s technology
- Tips for parents wanting to improve the lives of their autistic children
Gary and Leslie also demonstrate a live interaction with one of Invirtua’s avatars, a fish named Marley.
To learn more about Gary, Leslie, and Invirtua, please visit invirtua.com.
Are you a professional seeking to hear directly from autistic voices and improve your practice? Are you a self-advocate willing to share your experiences and educate others? Are you a family member hoping to support and empower your loved one? Whatever your role related to autism is, you can join our Global Autism Community to connect and collaborate with people all over the world.
Sign up today at community.globalautismproject.org. Let’s work together to transform how the world relates to autism.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
81. Autistic Traits vs. Criminal Law, with Tom OliverDiscover what’s possible when rehabilitation fits the crime. Tom Oliver is an
80. Autistic Empathy, with Terra Vance and Kate JonesDiscover what’s possible when communication breaks down both ways. Our guests
79. Navigating Social Situations, with Anthony Ianni, Sangeeta Jain, and Vanessa ListaDiscover what’s possible when everyone gets a chance. This week’s episode is a