Discover what’s possible when A is for action.
Dr. Stephen Shore is an autistic professor of special education at Adelphi University. He has written several books, including College for Students with Disabilities, Understanding Autism for Dummies, Ask and Tell, and Beyond the Wall.
Currently, Dr. Shore serves on the boards of Autism Speaks, the Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Association, the US Autism and Asperger Association, the Scientific Council of OAR, and other autism-related organizations. He formerly headed the Asperger’s Association of New England and was on the board of the Autism Society of America.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- Stephen’s background and how his parents helped in his development
- How autism affects his everyday life
- His strengths related to autism
- Benefits of music for autistic people
- What Stephen describes as “The 4 A's of Autism”
- The controversies surrounding ABA therapy and Autism Speaks
- Awareness of autism around the world
- Meaningful inclusion strategies
- Disclosure and self-advocacy
For more information about Dr. Shore and his work, please visit drstephenshore.com.
If you’re a self-advocate wanting to share your life experiences, or a professional working in the field of autism education, our SkillCorps® volunteer program is an opportunity you don’t want to miss!
Work alongside our Global Autism Partners to help ensure that all autistic individuals around the world have access to quality education and services.
To learn more about our SkillCorps® program, check out episodes 4, 17, 53, and 66, featuring SkillCorps® volunteers that have been to our partner sites in India, The Netherlands, Indonesia, Dominican Republic, and Kenya, to name a few. Listen to them talk about their transformative experiences and see what SkillCorps® can offer you!
Begin your journey today at globalautismproject.org/skillcorps. As a listener of our show, take advantage of the coupon code AUTISMPODCAST to waive the application fee.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
77. The Disability Cliff and Adult Services in the US, with Cammie McGovernDiscover what’s possible when success is measured in belonging. Cammie McGover
76. Safety in Public, with Rachel Barcellona, Thomas Iland, Jamiel Owens, and Maricarmen HazouryDiscover what’s possible when awareness educates safety. This week’s episode i
75. Meaningful International Collaboration, with Our CEO Molly Ola Pinney and Pooja PanesarDiscover what’s possible when sustainability is made essential. Today we’re br