Discover what’s possible when information fuels advocacy.
Camille Proctor is the mother of a 15-year-old autistic boy and the founder of The Color of Autism, a non-profit organization committed to educating and assisting African American families with autistic children.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- Camille’s son and his interests
- Her ideas to reduce the stigma of autism in the Black community
- Religion’s role in denying autism
- The difficulty of getting a diagnosis
- How to overcome distrust in the healthcare system
- Harmful stereotypes of autistic black people
- What made Camille decide to start the Color of Autism and the different programs they offer
- Experiences specific to Black families
- Ideas to include more Black people in autism research
- How to successfully teach police officers about autism
- Advice for parents who want to be better allies to their autistic children
To learn more about Camille Proctor and her work, please visit thecolorofautism.org.
Just a reminder, our new Leadership Series courses are now available for professionals in the field of autism services. Check out the latest BONUS episode to learn about how our Leadership Series can help you become a better leader.
Grab your course today at leadership.globalautismproject.org. As a valued podcast listener, take advantage of the promo code autismpodcast for an extra 10% off!
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
125. Thanksgiving Special, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you count your blessings. This episode is being r
124. RTD | Health & Wellness, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when health extends beyond the body. This week’s episo
123. Art, Synesthesia, and Software Engineering, with Austin LubetkinDiscover what’s possible when art is in the eye of the beholder… and a few other
122. RTD | Self-Development & Accountability, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you step into who you can be. This week’s episode