Discover what’s possible when a mentor guides by example.
Robert Schmus is an autism self-advocate, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in New Jersey, and a blogger for The Mighty. As a therapist, he currently provides individual and group sessions at a residential home for adolescents with autism and other co-occurring diagnoses.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- How Robert learned about his diagnosis
- His strengths related to autism
- Dealing with anxiety and covid uncertainty
- Dating on the spectrum
- His responsibilities as a social worker
- Ideas to help adolescents transition into adulthood and find a job
- Disclosing his diagnosis to employers
To learn more about Robert and his work, you can contact him via email at [email protected].
Are you a self-advocate willing to share your experiences and educate others? Are you a professional seeking to hear directly from autistic voices and improve your practice? Are you a family member hoping to support and empower your loved one? Whatever your role related to autism is, you can join our Global Autism Community to connect and collaborate with people all over the world.
Sign up today at community.globalautismproject.org. Let’s work together to transform how the world relates to autism.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
125. Thanksgiving Special, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you count your blessings. This episode is being r
124. RTD | Health & Wellness, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when health extends beyond the body. This week’s episo
123. Art, Synesthesia, and Software Engineering, with Austin LubetkinDiscover what’s possible when art is in the eye of the beholder… and a few other
122. RTD | Self-Development & Accountability, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you step into who you can be. This week’s episode