Discover what’s possible when rehabilitation fits the crime.
Tom Oliver is an autism self-advocate, a TEDx Speaker, and an aspiring lawyer from Australia who has dedicated his career to helping autistic individuals caught up in the justice system.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- Autism acceptance in Australia
- Tom’s finding out about his diagnosis
- How autism affects his everyday life
- How Tom became interested in the law
- Three characteristics that are underlying causes of crimes among autistic people
- Challenges autistic people may face in the prison system
- Ideas to mitigate injustices against autistic individuals
To learn more about Tom Oliver, please visit tomoliver.biz.
Are you a self-advocate willing to share your experiences and educate others? Are you a professional seeking to hear directly from autistic voices and improve your practice? Are you a family member hoping to support and empower your loved one? Whatever your role related to autism is, you can join our Global Autism Community to connect and collaborate with people all over the world.
Sign up today at community.globalautismproject.org. Let’s work together to transform how the world relates to autism.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey
106. Tips for Autistic Drivers, with Andrew ArboeDiscover what’s possible when you’re the one behind the wheel. Andrew Arboe is
105. Celebrating Two Years, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when community becomes family. This week we are celebr
104. Honoring the Memory of David Sharif, with the Global Autism CommunityDiscover what’s possible when you’re defined by your determination, dedication,
103. Theater Acting, Playwriting, and Queer Identity, with Grace EverettDiscover what’s possible when you act yourself. Our guest today is Grace Everet