Discover what’s possible when taking care of yourself lets you take care of others.
This week's guest is Maggie Nunez. Originally from Dominican Republic and currently living in New Jersey, Maggie is a mother of three, two of whom are autistic. Her sons Dariel and Alvin are 16 and 13 years old. As a cancer survivor, Maggie hopes to encourage other parents to prioritize their own health in order to effectively take care of their children.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Maggie's two sons’ autistic strengths
- Challenges her son Dariel has overcome
- Thinking about her children’s future
- What motherhood has taught her about herself
- Autism acceptance in Dominican culture
- Her family’s supportive attitude
- How she takes care of herself
If you’re a parent, how do you practice self-care? You can connect with other parents going through experiences similar to yours, as well as find support and self-care resources, in our Global Autism Community.
Just a reminder, our community is open to anyone related to autism. Whether you’re a self-advocate, a family member, or a professional in the field, you can participate in these important conversations on our platform.
Sign up today at community.globalautismproject.org. Let’s work together to transform how the world relates to autism.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
77. The Disability Cliff and Adult Services in the US, with Cammie McGovernDiscover what’s possible when success is measured in belonging. Cammie McGover
76. Safety in Public, with Rachel Barcellona, Thomas Iland, Jamiel Owens, and Maricarmen HazouryDiscover what’s possible when awareness educates safety. This week’s episode i
75. Meaningful International Collaboration, with Our CEO Molly Ola Pinney and Pooja PanesarDiscover what’s possible when sustainability is made essential. Today we’re br
74. The Four A's of Autism, with Dr. Stephen ShoreDiscover what’s possible when A is for action. Dr. Stephen Shore is an autisti