Discover what’s possible when you live a life you don’t need a vacation from.
Diagnosed on the autism spectrum as an adult, Becca Lory Hector is an active autism and neurodiversity advocate, consultant, public speaker, and author. She offers a 3-unit personal development course for autistic adults called Self-Defined Living: A Path to a Quality Autistic Life. Becca also posts weekly live streams on her YouTube channel to encourage others to share both their challenges and what they’re grateful for.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Becca’s emotional roller coaster of finding out about her autism
- Growing up misdiagnosed and heavily medicated
- Unmasking and prioritizing self-care
- The evolutionary benefit of difference
- What society can do to make life easier for autistic people
- Building on autistic strengths
- Why she decided to develop her course
- How to get out of autistic inertia
- Advice for newly diagnosed autistic adults
To learn more about Becca Lory Hector and her work, please visit beccalory.com.
Are you a self-advocate willing to share your experiences and educate others? Are you a professional seeking to hear directly from autistic voices and improve your practice? Are you a family member hoping to support and empower your loved one? Whatever your role related to autism is, you can join our Global Autism Community to connect and collaborate with people all over the world.
Sign up today at community.globalautismproject.org. Let’s work together to transform how the world relates to autism.
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our community on Mighty Networks: Global Autism Community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
70. Transitioning into Adulthood, with Robert SchmusDiscover what’s possible when a mentor guides by example. Robert Schmus is an
69. Animation for All Abilities, with Dani BowmanDiscover what’s possible when inclusion is animated. Dani Bowman is an autism
68. Self-Care for Parents, with Maggie NunezDiscover what’s possible when taking care of yourself lets you take care of othe