Discover what’s possible when a child can fly free.
Bobby Rubio is the writer and director of the Pixar SparkShort Float, which is a short animated film inspired by his relationship with his autistic son, Alex. Float is available for streaming on Disney+. For a limited time, you can also watch Float on Pixar's YouTube channel.
Currently a Story Artist at Pixar, Bobby is known for his work on Hercules, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Incredibles 2, which earned him an Annie Awards nomination for Outstanding Achievement for Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production. Bobby is also the creator and owner of his independent comics and intellectual properties: Alcatraz High, 4 Gun Conclusion, and Neighborhood Legend.
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- Bobby’s journey of accepting his son’s autism
- The creative process of producing Float
- The stigma of mental health within the Filipino community
- Tips for parents whose children have received an autism diagnosis
----more----We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our Facebook group: Autism Knows No Borders
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
----more----We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
65. Neurodiversity Training International, with Jude MorrowDiscover what’s possible when autism is not viewed as just a broken version of n
64. Sibling Support and Physical Therapy, with Vanessa ListaDiscover what’s possible when relationships are strengthened by listening. Van
63. Individualized Education Programs, with Brian Middleton, Colleen Dorsey, and Michael GilbergDiscover what’s possible when the student’s interests lead the team. This week
62. The Diverse Butterfly, with Cassidy HooperDiscover what’s possible when a butterfly spreads her wings. Cassidy Hooper is