Discover what’s possible when all notes are heard.
Today we’re featuring two members of the ASD Band, lead vocalist Rawan Tuffaha and drummer Spenser Murray, joined by their manager, Andrew Simon.
Comprised of musicians on the autism spectrum, the ASD Band was formed by Canadian charity Jake’s House to raise awareness and highlight strengths related to autism. If you’d like to learn more about Jake’s House, please listen to episode 44 featuring its co-founder, David Bodanis: Support Across the Lifespan at Jake's House in Canada.
The ASD Band has performed with Roger Hodgson of Supertramp, and their covers of Shawn Mendes, Sonny & Cher, and Marvin Gaye are available on streaming platforms. In the intro, you'll hear a short sample of the band performing “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”
In today’s conversation, we discuss:
- The serendipitous creation of the ASD Band
- Rawan and Spenser's musical influences
- How autism helps their musical abilities
- Misconceptions about autism
- Tips for people on the spectrum who may be interested in joining a band
For more information about the ASD Band, please visit:
We appreciate your time. If you enjoy this podcast and you’d like to support our mission, please take just a few seconds to share it with one person who you think will find value in it too.
Follow us on Instagram: @autismpodcast
Join our Facebook group: Autism Knows No Borders
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: Global Autism Project
We would love to hear your feedback about the show. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your thoughts: Listener Survey.
65. Neurodiversity Training International, with Jude MorrowDiscover what’s possible when autism is not viewed as just a broken version of n
64. Sibling Support and Physical Therapy, with Vanessa ListaDiscover what’s possible when relationships are strengthened by listening. Van
63. Individualized Education Programs, with Brian Middleton, Colleen Dorsey, and Michael GilbergDiscover what’s possible when the student’s interests lead the team. This week
62. The Diverse Butterfly, with Cassidy HooperDiscover what’s possible when a butterfly spreads her wings. Cassidy Hooper is